Friday, September 4, 2009

Turning and turning in the widening gyre

How Did Economists Get It So Wrong? by a Mr. Paul Krugman in a paper you may have heard of called the New York Times. I'm not going to pretend that I know better than Mr. Krugman, but methinks that those people actually involved with the allocation of capital understand that the market is filled with inefficiencies. Though I think he hits on it when he mentions research that implies that people willing to exploit said inefficiencies must have adequate capital to do so. Though I suppose this is a question for a valuations class.

Football, Statistics, and Agency Problems. From the Baseline Scenario. I believe there was some sort of draft today. Another data point in the "when taking the correct path is offset by the forces of convention and reputation".

A Post Finance Job Market. Ezra Klien. I suppose few people, apart from myself, dream in excel spreadsheets. But it does lead to an interesting question: will the lower salaries for Wall St, coupled with the reduction in status, cause a Renaissance in law schools, med schools, and the like?

FOR THE READERS:

Vanity Fair profiles Henry Paulson. Vanity Fair, from my perspective, has had some of the most compelling reporting over the past year. I will agree with Mr. Purdum that we get much more expressive photographs our of Mr. Paulson, especially compared to Mr. Geithner, who looks like a Keebler Elf.

I suspect I have some Accounting Homework to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment